March 07, 2011

art in a cup


On Sunday I had brunch at Le Pain Quotidien @ Covent Garden. I ordered my usual crab and avocado tartine and a cup of Latte and to my surprise it came with a nice Latte Art.

My BOWL of latte
A little faint, but it was a nice surprise!
Latte art is a style of art, consisting of pouring steamed milk into a shot of espresso creating a pattern or design on the surface.

A barista at work

I'm not sure where this art form originated from (probably Italy) but now it’s evolved into an international obsession, including classes, competitions, online galleries, and coffee houses that produce a work of art with every drink.

Hearts were one of the first latte art designs to become popular, and they remain one of the most commonly-seen designs today.

A simple heart

Rosettes or rosettas, the lovely leafy designs below, are another long-standing latte art favorite.

I think my latte was a rosette too?!

Creating such designs in coffee is an art form and makes a latte all the more delightful to enjoy.
Here are some other designs that are truly amazing!

Simple but cute
AMAZING!! and SO CUTE!!
Oh so cute!
Totoro art
Kiki art

I think most of the above were created in Japan and the US so I was quite surprised when I saw mine one  at Le Pain Quotidien. Have you had the opportunity to come across Latte Art?

No comments:

Post a Comment