July 05, 2011

port chambly

Continuing on the subject of Mauritius, I had the pleasure of being invited to a Jazz dinner @ Port Chambly.

Port Chambly @ Day

Inspired by Venice, Port Chambly has a deeply Mediterranean atmosphere, reminiscent of Italy and Southern France with its winding river, narrow stone-paved alleyways, arches, wells and waterfalls as well as a steeple towering over the Place du Campanile overlooking the whole village, the river and the sea

Located north of Mauritius near Baie du Tombeau, the small village offers a great choice of duplex apartments and villas as well as a hotel.

Hotel and clock tower


Situated in the village square, the Place du Campanile, the Mona Lisa restaurant normally offers buffet style and a la carte Italian cuisine. We visited at night to enjoy a special  Jazz dinner and the food was amazing!!

Port Chambly @ night
Candle lit Jazz dinner

We were one of the first people to arrive but the setting was beautiful and romantic. The lit candle light glowed and flickered in the wind and created an amazing atmosphere. Slowly the place began to fill and the start of a lovely evening.

The menu for the night
The amazing bread basket

The breads were the best I've had!! There was a selection of garlic, herbs, cheese and breadsticks but the cheesy mini breads were so warm and lovely that I would have happily eaten them all night! We nearly asked for thirds as they were that good!

The dinner was a 3 course meal and the pre-starter was a terrine. Can't quite remember what it was but I recall it was a little sweet and not really to my taste :(

Beef carpaccio
Shrimp cocktail

For starters I had the beef carpaccio which came as a tower and not a sheet of thinly sliced beef covered in rocket and parmesan. The beef was sliced quite thick but me liking my meat rare, it was still good. The other option was shrimp cocktail so I think I made the right choice here :)


For Main, again I went for beef. It was a bit odd to have a beef choice for starter AND main but I went for my beef anyway. It was like thin strips of steak with demi-glace sauce and potato wedges but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The meat was tender and the sauce went well with it. The other option was fish soup which lacked that extra *something*.


For dessert, it was white chocolate mousse with raspberry cream. I'm not a fan of white chocolate but it tasted like vanilla pannacotta and it was gone in seconds!

The evening entertainment was a performance by a famous Mauritan Jazz performer (who sounded like Louis Armstrong) The evening was slightly on the chilly side for me but the evening was different and I did really feel like I was in the South of France! The fun continued well into the morning until about 5am to be precise! lol

 
Port Chambly, Terre Rouge
tel: (230) 405 3000

No comments:

Post a Comment